Founded 1916 and based at the James Monroe House (a National Historical Landmark built in 1802 and expanded in 1806), five blocks from the White House. Based downtown it is a convenient base for business or leisure with parking, shops and the Metro nearby. Provides exhibition and performance facilities, also historic preservation activities. Two guest rooms – but quite a lot of stairs. Reciprocal guests may attend all Arts Club events and programmes. The first Club in Washington to admit women as full members from its foundation.